Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day 17

I should have titled this blog "wheelchairs"...

Today was pretty uneventful, just like the past 16 or so days that have already passed. My daily excitement being my wheelchair ride. The weather today was perfect: not a cloud in the sky, a cool breeze, and just plain beautiful...I was aching to go out there all day.

My mom stopped by with some much needed clean clothes and took me for a ride outside. There is one thing I now know...I really don't like being pushed around in a wheelchair. Love going outside, hate the fact that I have to be pushed out there. Here is why: no matter who does the pushing...Tim, my nurses, my mom...people always run me into things. At first I would laugh, but now I am scarred and nearly jump out of my skin whenever I hit something. I've been run into doorways, walls, the revolving door, the curb, corners, even my bed...its kind of like riding in the car without a seat belt, the chair stops but my body keeps moving. I get jolted and grab my belly trying to shield Will from bouncing all around and making me go into labor...

The wheelchair for me is now a death trap. One of my nurses hit an uneven patch on the sidewalk while we were crossing the street and nearly dumped me into oncoming traffic (that day I laughed and didn't care..telling her to do it right next time and put me out of my misery...Just kidding).

I did get special visitors today that really were the highlight, Chris and Tom stopped by for a surprise visit with their kids. We all worked together in high school, that sadly doesn't seem like that long ago even though its been, gulp, 10 years! It is so great to see people that I haven't seen for a long time. If one good thing has come out of this, I have gotten to cross paths again with many great people from my past...which is an awesome thing. And for that I am grateful.

So here I sit again, on a Saturday night thinking about everything and watching another storm roll in over the city sky line. My thoughts are sometimes on how different it could be right now, especially if I were still teaching my 5th graders. Its the last week of school this coming week at A.V.C.S. and I've been thinking about all my students and how as nutty as it was, I miss that chaos. I miss the daily countdown with the other teachers in the lounge as we were all ready to pull out our hair. I miss the craziness of kids excited for field day and pool parties and the last day of school. Because my life is way, way too quiet right now.

I am trying to heed my mother's advice though...that once Will's little feet make their debut in this world, nothing will ever be the same. And these may be the last quiet days I get for many, many years and that I should try to enjoy them...I can only hope and pray that she is right.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hi Julie,
You don't know me, but I'm Julie Visser's cousin-in-law. I just wanted to let you know that you and Will are in my prayers!!
Jane Brown