Friday, September 12, 2008

Algebra

I'm in a fog today. Probably brought by many things and then there's the weather: monsoons of rain, thick and hazy, but super muggy. Ugh. But I have been keeping busy trying not to think about everything...but don't think I don't think about it anyways. I can run, but it seems I can never hide.

Yesterday and today I was a substitute at the middle school. The days went great, and I think the interview went alright too. But who knows. This morning I walked into the classroom and nearly fell over...because guess what I got to use today...

A huge, ugly, really green chalkboard.

I seriously laughed out loud. Then I called Tim and told him too (we could always use a little humor in our lives). For those of you wondering why in the world this is such a huge deal...well, let's just say that I've never actually taught a class (ever) using a chalkboard. A white board~sure. An awesome active board that is like a computer on the wall~even better. But a chalkboard? Nothing like a little true "old school"...is that where the saying comes from anyways??? I figured they had done away with chalkboards a super long time ago...

So not only did I survive inhaling chalk all morning, I also survived teaching 8th grade algebra (for those of you that truly know me, you understand what a miracle this is)...didn't I fail algebra in college or something? In 8th grade, I couldn't even tell you what algebra was, I was still practically counting on my fingers...wait. Sometimes I still do~True Confessions of a Teacher.

For occasions like this, I knew that I should have bought the most awesome shirt I had ever seen when I had the chance...
"I'm too pretty to do math."

1 comment:

Megan Smith said...

Dude, and I thought my classroom was ghetto - we still use overhead projectors ;)

PS - Valerie Henry would be proud of you!