Saturday, December 6, 2008

Thanksgiving night.

*Its actually December now...I was just sitting down to write again and saw that I forgot to ever post this...just another example of my grief-provoked forgetfulness and complete disorientation...

I'm sitting here with bloodshot eyes, beyond tired...
and a huge glass of wine.
First of all, we survived Thanksgiving and all the bittersweet blessings and hurts that came along with the day.

But that stuff is boring and depressing.

Instead, I will share a funny story. Something that I have always wanted to do, but never had the nerve to follow through with...First of all, I love shopping. Not spending a ton of money but finding insanely good deals. So when I found out that Birch Run (an awesome outlet mall 2 hours from here) was opening at midnight Thanksgiving day...well, I thought...Why not?

So, at 10 p.m. I picked up my mom and we drove an uneventful 2 hours to the east side of the state. Well, once we were on the road it was uneventful. First, I had to get gas. So I was filling up the Jeep and had it going by itself then looked down because it sounded funny.

There was gas spraying out of my car, down the side...and then puddling underneath.

I about had a heart attack and all I could think about was how I was going to blow us up just to find some good deals. And that I truly was an idiot...Well, until I spoke to the guy behind the counter. Then I reevaluated my first decision and decided he was the idiot. When I ran in to ask what I should do (because there was gas everywhere) he told me just to take the pump out and not worry about the gas on the ground. And my car with gas everywhere??? Oh, it should be okay, he said.

So I walked back to my car and did what any other semi-intelligent person would do. I took the window washer out of their bin and washed the side of my car with it, making sure to dilute all the gas with as much dirty water as possible. Disaster averted. And then we were officially on our way.

But I couldn't help but wonder if that was some sign that we were supposed to be at home sleeping instead of going shopping. As we got closer, the roads were empty. Then about 5 miles away I said out loud,
"Mom do you see all those brake lights up there? Uh, I'm getting nervous..."

We had good reason to be. Every single person on that side of the state must have wanted to go shopping too. I have never seen so many cars lined up in one lane for so long. Not even in California. Not even smack in the middle of L.A. on a holiday weekend. I was beyond shocked and as we drove mile after mile all my mom could do was laugh and all I could do was stare in disbelief...and we both uttered a few choice words. Because, after all, we thought we were the only crazy people to drive and shop in the middle of the night.

I refused to get in line. So we drove to the next exit, turned around and finally got off a different way. That was only the first battle. As we pulled into the parking lot, there was not one single parking space to be found. People were parking on the grass, and anywhere else they could find. We lucked out and found a spot way in the back and a good hike from everywhere we wanted to go. But at that point I would have taken anything. All I know is that people that drive in the middle of the night to get the best deals are a little extreme...more like hardcore. Since I could have cared less, I stayed far away from those people. But they were fun to watch.

The rest of the time was a blast. The mood of the place was fun and you would never have known it was the middle of the night. I assumed we would get home around 4 in the morning. We were having too much fun and didn't get home until 6:00 a.m. Friday morning. The stores had awesome deals and I couldn't even get into Coach. Insane. But totally worth the trip and we decided this would be a new tradition.

Because after all, this is what is hard about this holiday season. Establishing new traditions. Accepting that certain things we were looking forward to starting will just have to wait. I never would have imagined my Thanksgiving to be like this...but some things we can't change. So in the meantime, I'm happy with this new tradition. Let's just hope we can pull it off again next year, only maybe we skip the gas spraying out of the car.

No comments: