Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Damage Control

I'm home sick today...
the second time in less than a month, having caught some seriously nasty bug.
The other cold was nearly gone, and so my guard must have been down when I went to a friends house on Saturday.
A bunch of sorority girls from GVSU got together.....
Many of which, I have not seen since I was in college.
But they all brought their kids.
Complete with runny noses and coughs.

Kid germs are dangerous.
And the doctors all warned we would be more prone to getting sick with the grieving process.
So here I am.

It was good to see everyone.
But it was hard.
Especially when there was a little girl, just two weeks or so older than what Will would be today.

It broke my heart and then some.
And then a lot of the girls didn't know what had happened...
even worse to sit there and listen to what I already knew but they didn't.
So my favorite conversation was topic:
Pregnancy and blah blah blah.
So it was a rough morning, and one that I didn't really see coming.
It was the first time I have allowed myself to be around babies since July,
and now I know why.

Still not to that point yet.
I wish there was some universal symbol for grieving.
A sign that would point out to the rest of the world just where we are in this journey, so at times when we need it most a little sympathy and empathy would be put forth.
In church, I learned that in the Jewish religion back in the day, a grieving family member would wear an outer layer of torn clothes.

Hmmm,
torn, huh?
Seems to make sense to me.
And if you are as intrigued as I was, you can read a little more here.

All I'm saying is that some knowledge on other's people's part would be making this whole situation so much easier. 
Because many times?
Its unnecessarily painful.
Just like Saturday.
You could say a symbol of torn clothes would be like the equivalent of doing "damage control" in our house.

What am I talking about?
Damage control is when you take necessary steps in communicating or thinking ahead before something actually happens, and then taking action to prevent that little something from actually taking place.

So after I left and called Tim crying telling him what happened...
I did my own damage control.
I went to Nordstroms Rack and found a really cute top.
And I did what any girl would do when her husband tells her they can't spend money.
I bought it anyways:)

1 comment:

BrownEyedSteph said...

Hi Julie

I found your blog through a link on another blog some time ago and have been following your story ever since. I enjoy reading your blog and I check it almost every day to see if you've written anything new. My name is Stephanie. I just wanted to say hello and to let you know that I think about you and your family every day.