Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April

So after my week long pouting session,
I finally got some much needed support (or a swift kick in the pants).
From a book my mom gave me a year ago.
Because a year ago, was our first baby's "supposed to be" due date...it was also when Will's water broke...when things started to change into what they are today.

When I opened my devotional today this is what I read:

"Reason cannot help you; past experiences give you no light. Even prayer fetches no consolation. Only a single course is left. You must put your soul in one position and
keep it there...
You must stay upon the Lord; and come what may-winds, waves, cross-seas, thunder, lightning, frowning rocks, roaring breakers-
no matter what,
you must lash yourself to the helm, and hold fast your confidence in God's faithfulness, His covenant engagement, His everlasting love...

This is just what I was needed to read today,
at just the right time.
Because, honestly, there has been something else on my mind.
I have also followed this blog for a long time...
and this family is also in need of your prayers.
When I first started reading their family's story,
ours was still unfolding.
This mother was also told her son would die at any time,
or shortly after birth.
But she continued to have faith...

And I firmly believe in the power of prayer.
It is the kindness, giving, and prayers of so many that have sustained me,
have kept me going.
And I literally cried tears of joy
the day I read that her son was born fully healed.

Because
more than anything...
I didn't want this mother to join "the club."
But as God' plan unfolds
she is again on the roller coaster that I knew all too well. Her baby is in the NICU, with a return of his heart condition.
And I know that many people can feel helpless in situations like this,
but I know they can feel love and prayers from people all over the world.

And that is something.
So as this story unfolds,
I am praying for Stellan
just as I prayed for Will.

I am praying for another miracle.
And the strange thing about it?
Followers of Matt's blog (listed under my favorites)
have started to appear on hers and offer the most generous help.
These two blogs are so completely different,
but their common thread?
Strangers reaching out in love and support
to help people in need.

I love Matt's blog.
It is brutally honest.
And he types as he talks,
while I tend to keep it PG.
But let's be even more honest here....
I'm married to a Marine,
therefore,
no saint in the language department
if ya catch my drift.
And in case anyone is wondering, I don't personally know either of these two people. For some reason (known only to God) I happened upon these blogs while on bedrest. The only link between the two was that I checked them every day quietly, just as thousands of other people do. 

I read their stories
because it gives me hope.
I look at Stellan's pictures
and see a miracle.
And while we may not have
gotten 5+ months with Will,
when I read their daily battles
and triumphs
I see answered prayers.

Because after its all said and done, when our time here is over
they don't load all of our earthly treasures into that visitation room.
We aren't surrounded by our cars, jewelry, our furniture.
No,
none of it.
The things we are surrounded by 
of great importance?
Each other.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Amen, Julie. I'm praying for Stellan, too.

I was thinking earlier today. I love to read the Miss Manners Washington Post column, mostly for entertainment, but occasionally because etiquette is such a tricky thing. Miss Manners if famous for opposing any sort of communication that seems to ask for money, gifts, etc. Sometimes she has a point (how many bridal showers does one couple really need?), but sometimes, I think she goes to far. Mckmama seem unsure about whether to post about the fund her friends have set up, both grateful for the help and not really sure if it's ok to say anything.

But here's the thing, she sees this, correctly, I believe, as God's way of reaching out to hold up her family while they go through something so hard. And I realized that our own unwillingness to ask for help from the people around us must, so very often, keep God from helping us the way he wants to. Because we are God's hands, right? And when we shut ourselves off from each other, we shut ourselves off from an important way that God loves us.

Just wanted to say that. Glad to hear you're doing better today.

Liz