Friday, October 16, 2009

North Cakalaka...





So last weekend I flew down to Charlotte and picked up our new car.
Everything went better than planned.
Except for the rain.
But given that it was 80 degrees, I decided to overlook that little detail.
After picking up the car,
I checked into the sweet hotel that was practically free
thanks to our collection of Starpoints through SPG.
After a little exploring and a nap,
I jumped in my new ride to meet my longtime friend for some shopping.
We spent Friday night doing what we do best:
shopping for insanely good deals and eating.
There was an amazing sunset, which I tried to take a pic of...
but instead its behind my sunglasses. Brilliant.

Upon arriving back to the hotel,
we opened the door to find a chilled bottle of bubbly.
We were totally surprised.
Along with it, a note from Tim...
Wishing us a fun-filled weekend.
Too sweet. My husband rocks.

Instead of hitting up the packed bar downstairs,
we poured some drinks,
changed into the new sweat pants we both both bought,
along with our cute t-shirts from J.Crew (that we scored for $1.99)
and climbed into our little double beds for some girl talk.
Quite nearly a perfect day.

The next morning I hit the road to drive from Charlotte
to Toledo, Ohio...To break up the trip I rewarded myself
with things like Chick-fil-A (SO wish we had one of those here)
and then onto Starbucks in VA for a Pumpkin Spice Latte.
The drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
It still rained of course,
but the fall colors were completely amazing.
I can only imagine what they might have looked like in the sun with a blue sky as the backdrop.
I did have one moment of near insanity while driving a long stretch
of sickness-inducing curved road through the Appalachian Mtns in West Virginia...
Not only was I going nuts driving back and forth between the curves,
then for nearly 2 hours I only had two radio stations...
So without the distraction of music,
I concentrated on going as fast as possible while keeping my chicken sandwich where it belonged.
Many times, I would nearly swerve off the road as I tried to look behind me at the gorgeous view as I slowly climbed the Appalachians.
My pictures don't even come close to doing it justice.
As soon as I crossed into Ohio the temp dropped big time,
and by the time I was home on Sunday,
there was nearly a 50 degree difference.
The best thing about the car?
It has a heated steering wheel and seats...
something I have used every single day~HA!
It was a fun trip.
I loved Charlotte and wished that Tim could have gone too,
it is great to explore new areas together.
The only thing that really threw me?
That southern accent:)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Glad you had fun in my state!